The Ural State Law University was founded in September of 1918 as the Faculty of Law of the Irkutsk State University. By the August of 1934, the University was transferred from Irkutsk to Sverdlovsk and renamed the Sverdlovsk Law Institute. During that time, the Institute consisted only of three chairs: the Chair of Socio-Economic and Political Studies, the Chair of Soviet Economic Law and the Chair of Criminal Law and Procedure. Afterwards, new chairs were established and those that had already existed were enlarged. Besides, the number of students was gradually growing.

On its 50th anniversary, the Sverdlovsk Law Institute became the biggest scientific and educational center in Russia. With the development of the Sverdlovsk Law Institute, many prominent scientists worked there. They formed the Ural scientific law school and trained highly qualified specialists. Graduates made a great contribution to the development of state and legal system, the judiciary, the Bar, the notary, and banking.



In the end of the 1980s - early 1990s, the Sverdlovsk Law Institute experienced changes. In December of 1992, the Sverdlovsk Law Institute was renamed the Ural State Law Academy (USLA).

Despite all modifications, USLA managed to save and multiply the achievements of the Soviet period and make the new ones.


A new reform came in April of 2014: “the Ural State Law Academy” was renamed the Federal State Budget Institution of Higher Education “Ural State Law University” (USLU).

Nowadays, USLU continues to be one of the biggest scientific and educational centers of law in Russia, unifying the best traditions of classic legal education with modern educational technologies.